My partner, Kelly Willis, wrote a poignant post last week about the loss of her husband and the estate challenges she found in her path, all during a time she struggled with her bereavement. As a private client lawyer with many years of estate planning under my belt, I wanted to share some of the more frequent issues and misconceptions I have witnessed in dealing with families who were unprepared or had inadequate estate plans.
Douglas Brown is a founding partner and president of Newport Private Wealth. With more than 25 years’ experience, Doug provides high net worth individuals and families with investment and wealth management services, assisting with the investment of assets, tax & succession planning, creditor proofing, international diversification & general private counsel. He serves on Newport Private Wealth’s Investment Committee.
Prior to starting Newport Private Wealth in 2001, Doug had a successful career in wealth management and law. As a partner with one of Canada’s premier law firms, Fasken Martineau, Doug began his career in 1985 specializing in developing, organizing, managing and administering the private planning and estate affairs of Canada’s wealthy families. In 1994, Doug accepted an offer to join and help build a young start-up wealth management firm called Merchant Private Trust. From start-up to success, Merchant enjoyed considerable growth, establishing offices in Toronto, Kitchener, London, Vancouver, Barbados and the Channel Islands. As president, Doug presided over its growth and successful sale to the Royal Bank of Canada in 1999, after which it was renamed RBC Private Counsel, and Doug was appointed vice-chairman.
Doug also sits on the boards of various companies, both public and private, as well as charitable foundations.
Doug can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Becoming a Better Investor (1)
- Business Ideas (5)
- Capital Markets (1)
- Charitable Giving (2)
- Children and Money (7)
- Corporate Benefits (2)
- Individual Pension Plans (1)
- Insurance (1)
- Investing (27)
- Investing for Yield (2)
- Making Sense of The Economy (11)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (2)
- Multi-generational Families (2)
- Newport Private Wealth (4)
- News (3)
- NextWave (3)
- Real Estate Investing (5)
- Retirement Planning (8)
- Selling Your Business (1)
- Success Stories (1)
- Successful Entrepreneurs (7)
- Succession Planning (10)
- Tax Planning (15)
- Wealth & Happiness (8)
- Wealth Management (7)
- Floating Rate Notes – a timely idea for fixed income investors
- How to get better organized financially – a month by month guide
- Passing wealth on now, later, ever?
- Convexity and Bonds
- Is it time for bondholders to rethink their strategy?
- Engaging the next generation
- Looking for income? Try looking south.
- Catalyst funding… for families?
- Finding investment opportunities when the economy isn’t handing them out
- Filling the knowledge gap for the young affluent